Subject: Re: Any ideas on measuring radiation in the home ?
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:51:32 GMT
NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:51:32 MET DST
> I said the oven was off ! Where is the current spike coming from ? There
> hardly any current (to light a clock display ) compared with a flourescent
> bulb !
> I can do without your advice on throwing away the indicator. Find another
> sucker. Thanks.
hey hey, look, when the microwave is off, there is only the control circuit
working. The display and buttons, probably powered with 5V by a small
transformer or even a switching PS. The microwave tube gets only activated
with some relays or triac, which switches on the power transformer.
When you unplug the mains, the low voltage supply gets cut and this is the
only possibility to emit radiation, which is not dangerous.
Take your "indicator" near a light switch, TV, cellphone or some other
device and test if it also indicates something.
Then warm up some water inside the microwave and check all around the door
if there is radiation. Is there something?
The microwave leakage testers I have seen so far always had a needle
instrument not just a LED.
I'm not a specialist for 2.95$ indicators, but for measurement techniques,
so if you ask about a scope or network analyzer, some good advice may come.
You should think about and make some more tests like suggested to see if the
problem really exists. Then still my advice: Throw that thingy.