The Cyber-Spy.Com Usenet Archive Feeds Directly
From The Open And Publicly Available Newsgroup
This Group And Thousands Of Others Are Available
On Most IS NNTP News Servers On Port 119.
Cyber-Spy.Com Is NOT Responsible For Any Topic,
Opinions Or Content Posted To This Or Any Other
Newsgroup. This Web Archive Of The Newsgroup And
Posts Are For Informational Purposes Only.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.78 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
Subject: Re: Microwave oven from 110V to 220V
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 11:00:38 -0230
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:32:33 EDT
Organization: Bell Sympatico
> Hi there
> is it ok to use a transformer to run a microwave oven originaly for
> 110V/60Hz , with a 220/[50Hz]?? i.e. does the mains frequency has any effect
> on the operation of the microwave???
Possibly OK; although the internal transformer will be less
efficient at 50 Hz. and so may get hotter especially with
prolonged use. I don't think it will affect the control functions
(push buttons/display etc.) if yours has that feature. What size
and type is yours?
But more to the point microwaves take a lot of power for brief
periods so a pretty big separate transformer, or something, will
be required to step down the 220 to 110!
If you use a single winding auto transformer it will have to
carry the total power required which can be anywhere from 600 to
If you use a 'bucking' transformer arrangement the secondary
winding feeding the microwave and opposing the 220 volts so that
it is 'stepped down' to 110, will have to be wound with
sufficiently heavy wire to carry the total current required by
the microwave; even though in this configuration the transformer
will only have to handle half of the total power required by the
microwave. Transformers of this size are not necessarily small or
BTW I have used a so called 500 watt transformer for some 40
years to 'step up' the local 115 volts here to operate my 230
volt UK electric drill. It weighs at least 20 pounds (10 kilos)!
Also your wiring must be done safely with proper
earthing/grounding continuously through to the microwave cabinet
and no 'funny business' about the neutral wire no being
continuous either IMO.
My suggestion is 'be careful'. DO NOT GO INSIDE THE MICROWAVE
ITSELF UNLESS YOU ARE AN ACCOMPLISHED TECHNICIAN. Very dangerous
voltages can kill and microwave radiation with the cover off is
After all a microwave oven is actually a high power radar
frequency transmitter in a box and can cook YOU!
PS. But small microwaves nowadays are so cheap, here at Wal Mart,
Zellers, Future Shop or Canadian Tire, for example they can be
as low as $90 Canadian, that plus the 15% sales tax is the
equivalent of about 45 quid in the UK. About $60 US and if in
Euros is??? Anyway might be best to sell the 110 volt used for
around say 30 bucks and buy one for 220? Microwaves these days
don't need, most of the time anyway IMO, all the complicated
features of the earlier models.
Two cents from here. Terry.
Go Back To The Cyber-Spy.Com
Usenet Web Archive Index Of
The sci.electronics.design Newsgroup