The Cyber-Spy.Com Usenet Archive Feeds Directly
From The Open And Publicly Available Newsgroup
This Group And Thousands Of Others Are Available
On Most IS NNTP News Servers On Port 119.
Cyber-Spy.Com Is NOT Responsible For Any Topic,
Opinions Or Content Posted To This Or Any Other
Newsgroup. This Web Archive Of The Newsgroup And
Posts Are For Informational Purposes Only.
From: "Michael A. Terrell"
Subject: Re: household electrical failiure
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 20:58:53 -0500
Organization: Have you seen my bench? No, really! Where is it?
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 [en]C-CCK-MCD (Win95; U)
Take off UrPants to reply wrote:
> I have no experience in wiring but I understand electricity pretty well. You
> are probably refering to my replacement of of the GFP with an ordinary socket.
> Please see my explanation in the other post as to why I thought that would be
> an acceptable temporary solution.
First: It is not legal to use a regular outlet in a bathroom because
of the chance of electrocution.
Second: If a ground fault interrupter is tripping, something is
defective. Bad wiring, defective appliance, or even the wiring has been
chewed by rodents and they have a nest over it, allowing the leakage
form moisture to trip it.
Third: It is quite likely the place was wired with cheap back wired
outlets where you strip the wire and shove it in a hole. Personally, I
will not use them because I have seen too many outlets and plugs burnt
when they fail.
Years ago i was visiting a friend one evening when his wife came
running and told him the electric was out in one of the rooms. We
finally traced it to a back wired outside outlet where the electrician
had looped the circuit from the breaker box, instead of putting it on a
GFCI by itself.
Hire an electrician. If you don't know what you are doing people can
Michael A. Terrell
Go Back To The Cyber-Spy.Com
Usenet Web Archive Index Of
The sci.electronics.design Newsgroup