The Cyber-Spy.Com Usenet Archive Feeds Directly
From The Open And Publicly Available Newsgroup
This Group And Thousands Of Others Are Available
On Most IS NNTP News Servers On Port 119.
Cyber-Spy.Com Is NOT Responsible For Any Topic,
Opinions Or Content Posted To This Or Any Other
Newsgroup. This Web Archive Of The Newsgroup And
Posts Are For Informational Purposes Only.
From: "Frithiof Andreas Jensen"
Subject: Re: household electrical failiure
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:01:58 +0100
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
"Take off UrPants to reply" wrote in message
> This may well be true, but so far all you guys have offered me is insults
> no explanation to back it up.
There is not enough information to be specific (& house wiring is usually
undocumented anyway!!) - except that problems with fixed wiring carry the
risk of the house burning down and/or somebody you care about getting
killed - with the added *insult* that the insurance will not pay up!
An experienced practicioner will recognize that the odds are being stacked
against him/her - and avoid the mess altogether by hiring a professional -
the amateur will insist on escalating the problem to a real crisis (at which
point a profeessional must be hired anyway, at far greater cost).
It is not stupid to realise ones limitations - being pig-headed *is*
> Please tell me what is wrong with the splice I
> propose or at least point me to a place I can read about it.
We don't know the wiring; You do not know the wiring - and there is
obviously something wrong with it!
What's wrong with the splice is that we - and you - do not even know what
the problem is to begin with.
> Further, thanks for pointing out that the open neutral presents a hazard.
> you pointed it out I realized that the grey wire was carrying a charge
> the appliances plugged in further down the line.
And this merely demonstrates how to get yourself killed: If the wiring is
wrong to begin with, the fancy colours do not mean shite - as *I* found out
the hard way once when installing a porch light: The previous owner,
obviously another tinkerer, had put the circuit breaker in the Neutral lead
> Now that i have shut those
> off, the grey reads dead. You productively jarred my thinking process even
> still doubt that any of those appliances could have generated a shock.
> So does the neutral go back to the power station or is it local.
Depends - usually to the substation/transformer supplying your street, where
it is earthed.
Go Back To The Cyber-Spy.Com
Usenet Web Archive Index Of
The sci.electronics.design Newsgroup