From: Mike Monett
X-Mailer: Mozilla 2.02 (Win16; I)
Subject: Re: Quickie Thermal Probe
References: <3DF8FDBE.34F2@Spam.Bots> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <3DF93BF0.2EC3@Spam.Bots> <3DF94027.88C07A44@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:15:34 -0800
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 03:15:37 EST
Organization: Bell Sympatico
Robert Baer wrote:
> I thought that once one had mold spores, that it was essentially
> impossible to get rid of them; only possible to greatly delay their
Yes, reducing the humidity helps. For example, the dryers in the basement
were installed poorly, and they vented the humid air inside. I died every
time someone did their laundry:)
I got permission from the landlord to vent them properly. Good thing,
since I discovered the dryers had a short section of plastic hose at the
outlet. With the lint buildup and high temperatures, the plastic showed
clear signs of overheating. According to insurance companies, there are
14,800 house fires each year due to the plastic hose catching on fire.
It's all aluminum now.
> There is an anti-mold additive for paints, so that one can re-paint
> affected surfaces.
Yes, I have used Zinsser and it does work if you apply enough coats. But
it's not possible to paint the inside of heating ducts and between the
> I had to do that once and the result was very effective for the 5
> years i was in that particular house.
> I also understand that there is a possibility of serious reprocussions
> when one drastically impeads airflow (replacement of air) in a building;
> it can get "sick" (and the finding and fixing near impossible).
Yes, I experienced this in a previous house. Once mold gets in the
carpets, there is no alternative except to move.
> So it may be a good idea to investigate these issues and learn from
> the majority wisdom.
I found most of the references are quite accurate. Mold is everywhere,
and it doesn't bother most people. The problem is once you become
sensitized, the slightest amount of mold can make you very ill.