The Cyber-Spy.Com Usenet Archive Feeds Directly
From The Open And Publicly Available Newsgroup
This Group And Thousands Of Others Are Available
On Most IS NNTP News Servers On Port 119.
Cyber-Spy.Com Is NOT Responsible For Any Topic,
Opinions Or Content Posted To This Or Any Other
Newsgroup. This Web Archive Of The Newsgroup And
Posts Are For Informational Purposes Only.
From: jmuchow@SPAMMENOTcamlight.com (John Muchow)
Subject: Re: Reducing contact resistance for low volt use?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 20:18:31 GMT
Organization: MindSpring Enterprises
References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <3DF7101A.694E609E@juno.com> <email@example.com>
X-Server-Date: 13 Dec 2002 20:18:11 GMT
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
>>>>I'd *love* to hear about any alternatives. :-)
>>>Submerge the cell in a small Mercury bath with the mercury circulating
>>>through a cooler. Control the current with a motorised insulating
>>>'iris' around the cell. Or something.
>>>Well you *did* ask.
Wow, that's actually a great idea. It would solve a LOT of
problems...but the Mercury thing has a disadvantage or two. :-)
But the concept of a liquid metal gave an idea...I could use a bit of
low melting temp. bismuth alloy (Small Parts has alloys that melt
anywhere from 117-281 degrees F.).
I would "hollow out" a hunk of copper that would normally form the
contact at one ond of the cell and pour in some bismuth alloy. I
could then heat it up and push one end of the battery into it. Do the
same for the other end.
If I could find a alloy that melted at a low enough temp. to not harm
the battery, but high enough not to melt when the battery was being
discharged, I'd have a contact that was molded perfectly to the
battery. I would just remelt it every time a different shape cell was
I suspect that the resistance of the bismuth, lead, tin, cadmium, and
indium in the alloy is significantly greater than that of copper and
it might be so high that the current is severely limited and the alloy
melts just from the power being dissipated in it. Or, maybe the
copper could wick away the heat (if it wasn't already so hot from
being used as a 120W resistor).
Go Back To The Cyber-Spy.Com
Usenet Web Archive Index Of
The sci.electronics.design Newsgroup